When we are discussing Beginning to Work Together - You Probably Contacted Me in Most Cases
It is important to me that I understand what you look like, how you stand, your body type and goals in order for me to prepare for working with you. If you have contacted me about a shoot and do not have a professional model portfolio - one that is shot by professional photographers I will ask you to provide me with profile information.
In this business it is NOT enough to be a pretty face - you must stand out, be dependable, be easy to work with, be committed and focused - among other things!
This is a serious request for information - you should take and complete this request - it matters. To be clear - If you cannot or will not complete and send me the following information that tells me something about you - doesn't it? So please follow the instructions, provide the exact images I have asked for (at least those) and do the rest of the work I am asking you to do.
I want to remember our interaction positively and powerfully - please not start it off on the wrong foot.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Please follow the instructions!
- Tell me how old you are – I do not shoot models under 18 without their parents being present - and then only in limited situations.
- Send me the following 4 pictures (to the email address below) – it is OK to take them with a cell phone, do not retouch them, do not get creative with lighting, do this in good light, it is OK to have a friend help you or to do it yourself. I am not looking at the quality of the image – I am looking at your hair, body, posture etc. Please note - I am primarily interested in the 4 pictures as I have defined them below - while you can send me additional pictures I must have the 4 images I have asked for.
For best results - Stand about 2 feet in front of a single colored blank wall in a room with reasonably good light. If the image comes out blurry please retake it - I am looking to understand posture, blemishes, scars, skin texture, etc.
Do NOT apply any skin softening or other fancy features in your camera - natural shots, good light, well focused
- A full face shot frontal – just your face and hair – if doing this yourself point the camera into a mirror and take your picture looking directly into the mirror – wear minimal to no makeup please. Smile so I can see your teeth please
- A full face profile shot - have your nose parallel to the camera plane - you do not need to to look at the camera or smile. I am going to use this one to see blemishes and cheek bones
- A full body shot frontal – clothed but with form fitting clothes or even better a bikini – again if taking it yourself shoot directly into a mirror - point the cell phone at yourself about breast height and take the picture
- A full body shot side – again clothed but in form fitting clothes or a bikini – use the mirror – same instructions as above. I am looking for your posture, waistline, curvature of your back, legs, breast shape etc.
- There are many different types of modeling - is there something specific you are wanting to do or that you know you absolutely are opposed to doing? Tell me about that please now - for instance I will not agree to shoot vampires, blood, violence, rape or similar scenes or scenes with guns, knives or other potentially harmful items as props.
- Browse through my web site and find 3 – 4 images you like and wish you were in and be ready to discuss what you like about them – or send me 3 – 4 pictures someone else has taken and be prepared to discuss what you like about them. You can also bring pictures with you from magazine or other places - we just need to get on the same page and this is a pretty quick way to do things.
- Go to this page on my site and read the model release - you will have to sign it before working with me.
- Go to this page on my site and review how to prepare for a shoot - it also has a list of props you may be interested in
- In the event that you are requesting this to be a TF shoot - (this means "Time For" or free) go to this page on my site and read my expectations of this kind of shoot - you will need to agree to this approach before working with me. Please read it thoroughly as I will expect you to do your part too. There needs to be a real value for me in this - please help me understand your proposal and how it is unique in some way.
Thank you - so now - either you think I am overly detailed and a pain in the butt - or you appreciate my attention to detail. I hope it is the latter of the two! I find that if I take care of the details and communicate thoroughly that we can better concentrate on the work of the shoot!
My email - Michael@StraleyPhotography.com
||I want to make images like these with you! Right?